Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Mind's Search for Utopia

I wonder how my mind defines luxuries. I dream of a time when Mind would agree that we've 'made it' and can now focus on some meaningful goals. Like helping the sick, promoting world peace or changing the way we live for the better.

Let me explain.
Six years ago, in simpler times, my mind and I worked in an Indian outsourcing outfit.
We would celebrate a pay hike from $200 to $250 a month. And together dreamt of owning a car to keep the elements out. After all, we'd get drenched if it rains or scorched in the sun; a motorcycle just wasn't good enough.

Now, in somewhat more material times, my mind and I work in the USA.
We earn and save many times my entire Indian pay. And we own a car that is silent, efficient, spacious and can easily beat the speed limit.
But again mind lusts for higher wages. Also, Mind says that my neighbour's Audi TT is the car to have. The Honda Accord is junk.

So I try to explain: "Mind: a hundred years ago, owning a self-propelled vehicle was a luxury reserved for the ultra rich. There hasn't been enough evolution since then to justify the extra propulsion.
In fact, Mind, your demands would have been considered crazy a century ago."

But Mind remains undeterred. In fact, Mind continues to throw tantrums each time I drive to work.
Frustrated, I ask Mind: "Let's say I buy the Audi TT - will you finally sit back and let me do something productive?"
And ofcourse, Mind smiles a mysterious smile and says: "Get it in the driveway - and then i'll answer!"
And so I walk away - once again feeling Mind isn't really going to be satisfied anytime soon.

No comments: